|« Mar||May »|
First Cake Pops
Cake pops were a lot of fun, and surprisingly easy! I don’t have a recipe so much, as a set of directions.
- Start with your favorite cake, crumble it up into little pieces
- Mix in your favorite frosting until you can shape the cake and it stays together
- Roll the cake mixture into balls, inserting a lollipop stick
- Refrigerate or put them into the freezer for the cake to firm up
- Dip in melted candy melts to coat.
I had a slight problem with the lollipop sticks popping out of the cupcake bite, so I ended up dripping some melted candy melts around the base of the ball and the lollipop stick to glue it together. If you do this, make sure you refrigerator them again! I had a problem where the cake ball ripped by the candy melts on two of my pops.
There are lots of awesome decoration ideas. I’m sure cake pops will become a staple in my baking repertoire.
Oh, one more thing that’s awesome: If you don’t mind making cakes from a box, you can actually make this extremely low sugar. There are some sugar free cake mixes (using sugar alcohol, which is the sugar substitute used for diabetic friendly foods), and sugar free icings (using Splenda).